Posts for: June, 2021
Acne is one of the most popular reasons people seek out a dermatologist. If you are struggling with acne, Newton Wellesley Dermatology Associates can help. Our skilled dermatologists in Wellesley Hills, MA, can perform and prescribe various treatments for acne and we will work with you to find the best treatment for your case.
Acne happens when a blockage in your pores prevents your oil glands, or sebaceous glands, from releasing oil onto the skin's surface. It gets clogged up and creates either a whitehead or blackhead. Both white and blackheads can become inflamed and produce the red pustules associated with acne.
Picking and scratching at acne is hard to resist, but it's so important to do what you can to not irritate the acne further. It causes infections and can even lead to permanent scarring when you pick and scratch. Acne can be unsightly and bothersome, but there are a variety of treatment options available to you in Wellesley Hills, MA.
There is no quick fix for acne, but we can help find the right treatment process for you. Treatments for acne include:
- Benzoyl peroxide is effective for more mild cases of acne. It's a topical treatment, usually in a face wash, that you use consistently for the best results
- Oral and topical antibiotics are used to treat any infection in the pores so your skin can heal.
- A form of Vitamin A called tretinoin helps unplug blocked-up material and renew skin with a topical treatment
- Hormonal treatments are available if your acne is caused by changes in hormone levels
- Extraction is the physical removal of black and whiteheads with the help of tools. Your dermatologist uses a sterile metal instrument to help remove the blockages
Whatever type of acne you have or complications you experience, our dermatologists will find the right combination of treatments for you. Newton Wellesley Dermatology Associates helps patients of all ages with symptoms of acne. Contact us for an appointment in Wellesley Hills, MA, at (781) 237-3500.