Find out the best ways to handle a rash.
You just discovered a rash on your body. Now what? Our Wellesley Hills, MA, dermatologists offer up some common causes of rashes, how they are treated and when it’s time to seek medical attention.
What is causing my rash?
This is something that is nearly impossible to determine online no matter how much you try to self-diagnose. While most rashes will go away on their own, it’s important to know what could be causing this skin problem and when medical care is necessary. Common causes of rashes include:
- Dermatitis (allergic or irritant)
- Lichen planus
- Fungal infections (e.g. candida; ringworm)
- Bacterial infections (e.g. strep throat; folliculitis)
- Parasites (e.g. scabies)
- Viral infections (e.g. shingles; Epstein-Barr virus)
- Poison ivy or oak
- Drug allergies
- Insect stings or bites
- Heat rash
- Autoimmune disorders (e.g. lupus)
- Food allergies
When should I call my dermatologist?
Even though rashes can often be managed through easy over-the-counter remedies to help soothe itching or burning associated with your rash, there are still times when you will want to turn to our Wellesley Hills, MA, skin doctor instead of relying on at-home treatments. Call us if you are experiencing these issues:
- A rash that continues to get worse or doesn’t get better after a few days
- A rash that is also accompanied by joint paint, fever, chills, body aches, sore throat or headache
- A rash that continues to spread or takes over a widespread area of the body
- A rash that is painful or contains blisters
- A rash that contains pus
- A rash that appears right after eating or after being bitten or stung by a bug
- A rash that affects your daily activities
- A rash that causes the skin to turn dark
If you are dealing with a worsening or painful rash, it’s always a good idea to turn to our doctors for care as soon as possible. Here at Newton Wellesley Dermatology Associates in Wellesley Hills, MA, we offer a comprehensive list of skincare services to meet your needs. Whether you need to treat your rash or talk to us about acne treatments, we can help!