Treating Your Acne
posted: Nov. 29, 2017.
Acne frustrates millions of Americans of all ages--teens, in particular, but also, an increasing number of women in their thirties, forties and fifties, says the American Academy of Dermatology. Just what is acne, and what treatment options does your dermatologist at Newton Wellesley Dermatology Associates offer? Well, there are many, and you can count on Dr. David Aghassi, Dr. Elaine Kaye and Dr. Michael Goldaber to precisely diagnose and treat your acne in Wellesley Hills, MA so that you can experience your best possible skin.
The details on acne
Numerous hair follicles and their associated oil glands cover the surface of our bodies--not just our scalps. When these follicles clog with excess oil (sebum), acne lesions result in the form of:
- Whiteheads and blackheads (comedones)
- Red pustules
Predominant on the face, neck, shoulders and chest, acne is unsightly, sore and when persistent, can lead to anxiety and depression. This additional stress tends to escalate break-outs as does increased levels of testosterone during the teen years and during hormonal fluctuations associated with menstruation.
Treatments for acne
Your dermatologist will examine your skin and talk to you about your symptoms and flare-ups before composing an individualized treatment plan. Your plan may include simple home care, over the counter treatments, prescription medications, in-office treatments or some combination of therapies.
Common acne treatments are:
- Benzoyl peroxide applied topically to clear follicles and pores of oil and dead skin cells
- Oral or topical antibiotics for infected areas
- Vitamin A (Tretinoin)
- Hormone therapy (birth control pills for women)
- Extraction with a small, hand-held instrument (done by your dermatologist in the office)
While acne can be very stubborn, you and your doctor can control it and avoid or minimize scarring. Prevention of symptoms starts at home with:
- Daily cleansing of affected areas and after gym workouts
- Conscientious application of topical medications as directed
- Avoiding touching the lesions as much as possible
- Never squeezing or scrubbing lesions as this causes infection and irritation
What's your skin goal?
The friendly and highly skilled team at Newton Wellesley Dermatology Associates are very experienced in the control of acne. They'll help you reach your goal. For an appointment, call our office today at (781) 237-3500.