Long Term Effects of an Untreated Rash

Generally, most rashes are not a cause for concern and will quickly fade after some time on their own, often without the need for over-the-counter treatments. But there are certain circumstances when a rash should be examined by your Wellesley Hills, MA, dermatologist to avoid possible long term effects and complications. The following article should help provide some basic guidance, but to learn much more you can contact your local experts at Newton Wellesley Dermatology Associates.

What Is a Rash?

Rashes occur when your skin comes in contact with an irritant that causes a typically mild reaction on your skin. This reaction can manifest in symptoms like redness or red patches, with more severe symptoms including swelling and blisters.

Possible Causes

There are many types of likely irritants, and they vary depending on the individual. Certain plants, soaps, perfumes, and other things can irritate your skin but not that of someone else.

It can also be brought on by infections, autoimmune conditions, medications, allergies, insects, and certain medical conditions.

At-Home Care

Typical at-home treatment is as basic as using mild soap and water, and perhaps an over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream. Dry skin can also cause similar symptoms so make sure to moisturize immediately after a shower.

Rash Treatment in Wellesley Hills, MA

Most types of rashes don't require medical attention but don't fear that you have to make that qualification on your own, you can always visit your dermatologist for help, especially if you are concerned about its symptoms.

Without proper care, a rash can grow, become painful, and lead to other complications.

You should have a dermatologist examine your rash if it covers large parts of your by, if it appeared suddenly, spreads quickly, lasts longer than a week, or is painful.

If you are concerned about a rash you can schedule a consultation with your local Wellesley Hills, MA, dermatologists of Newton Wellesley Dermatology Associates by dialing (781) 237-3500.